How to Make Vegan Pound Cake
A fine crumb, buttery flavor, and moist interior make this pound cake impressive enough to fool any hardcore traditionalist. A zesty lemon glaze is the metaphorical cherry on top of this classic dessert.
Servings: One 10-inch Bundt cake Time: 30 minutes Difficulty: I Guess I'll Put on an Apron
Recipe by: No Eggs or Ham
- 16 oz cake flour, sifted
- 16 oz Melt Organic vegan butter
- 16 oz vegan-friendly white sugar*
- 16 oz VeganEgg (13.75 oz cold water + 2.25 oz VeganEgg powder by Follow Your Heart)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6.35 oz (1 ½ cups) powdered sugar*
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly butter a 10 inch nonstick bundt pan, dust it with cake flour to coat, and shake out any excess. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together VeganEgg powder with cold water until smooth. Set aside.
3. Sift cake powder into a large bowl or flexible cutting board (for easy pouring later on) and set aside for now.
4. Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric hand whisk. Start on medium-low speed until mixture comes together, then boost speed to high and cream until fluffy and light in color. Scrape down the sides with a spatula every minute or so; about 4 minutes in total.
5. Add VeganEgg into butter mixture in three batches, mixing each one in until smooth before adding the next. Once incorporated, scrape down the sides, add vanilla and salt, and beat on high for 2-3 minutes to incorporate more air.
6. Stop the mixer, add in 1/3 of the flour, turn speed to low until just incorporated, then boost to medium speed until mostly smooth. Repeat for remaining batches, scraping the sides after the third batch.
7. After you add the third batch, mix until just smooth (be sure not to over mix as to avoid gluten formation), then pour batter into prepped cake pan. Smooth out the top, place in oven, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean; 1 hr – 1 hr 15 min.
8. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then use a paring knife to go around the edges of the cake to make sure it's not stuck to the pan. Invert cake onto a cooling rack and rest until completely cool; about 4 hours.
9. Assemble glaze by whisking together lemon juice, lemon zest, and powdered sugar until smooth, adding powdered sugar in three batches to ensure easy whisking.
10. Pour glaze over cake, slice, and enjoy! Store covered at room temperature for 3 days.
*Many bleached products such as white flour and sugar are processed using animal bone char, which obviously isn't vegan. However, some brands such as Sprouts label their products with the "certified vegan" stamp, ensuring it was produced without animal products.
*For powdered sugar, also check to ensure vegan friendliness. Pro tip: organic versions are always vegan.
Ryan is a cook, writer, and musician born and raised in Tampa, FL. With years of recipe testing for his Asian-American food blog, No Eggs or Ham, behind him, he strives to sharpen the image of vegan food by highlighting chefs who push the boundaries of plant-based cuisine. Unlike the advice your mom lent you, he encourages you to play with your food every chance you get!
More from VegOut
Alpha Foods Just Launched a YouTube Series Co-Hosted by Drag Icon Monét X Change
Tune in every week for a new episode of The Plant-Based Way with Monét.
NadaMoo! Scoop Shop in Austin, Texas to Close This Week
The vegan ice cream shop will be indefinitely closing its brick-and-mortar location on February 27.
This Self-Taught Los Angeles Baker Makes Lizzo-Approved Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Baked by Yoga is killing the vegan dessert game!
San Diego’s Kula Ice Cream Expands to Grocery Stores Across California
The San Diego-based vegan ice cream brand is now available in grocery stores in Loma Linda, Chino, and Rancho Mirage, with more expansion plans in the future.
22 Black-Owned Vegan Food Brands to Support Right Now
From pancakes and granola to chips and cheese sauce, there are so many great products to try from these businesses.
IHOP Adds Vegan Breakfast Sandwich to Menu in NYC
The new fast-casual branch of IHOP has added a fully vegan breakfast sandwich to the menu at its New York location.
New Women-Owned Allergy-Friendly Online Grocer Basquet to Launch This Spring
Basquet specializes in offering a selection of sustainable products to those avoiding the top allergens, including a variety of products suitable for vegans.
10 Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in Atlanta
Come along as we explore all of the tasty Black-owned vegan and vegan-friendly spots Atlanta has to offer!
Michigan’s First Vegan Wine Club Launches in Metro Detroit
Vegan deli and catering company Chive Kitchen adds wine club to its list of offerings.
Chef Tomi Makanjuola Releases New Cookbook Vegan Nigerian Kitchen
The cookbook features 100 vegan recipes from various Nigerian tribes and regions.
5:55 Burgers & Fries Is Serving up Affordable Vegan Food in Los Angeles
Everything on the menu at 5:55 is under $11.11!
Meat Alternative Company Meati Launches for Pre-Order, Sells Out in 24 Hours
There’s a new vegan meat in town and customers are stocking up!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!