Vegan Dynamite Sushi Bowl Recipe
Before I went vegan, I would go crazy for dynamite sushi with unagi. These plant-based sushi bowls hit all the same notes, minus the eel, which has officially been added to the endangered species list. I opted to serve these as bowls to save time but they would make killer sushi rolls if you really want to go for it!
Servings: 2 Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 15 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
- 8oz king oyster mushrooms (also called king trumpet mushrooms)
- 3 small Persian cucumbers (or 1 large cucumber)
- 1 avocado
Eel Sauce Marinade
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) tamari
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp (22 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (12 g) organic sugar
- 1 ½ tsp (9 g) minced ginger
- Dash sriracha (¼ – ½ tsp)
- ¼ cup (60 g) vegan mayo
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sriracha
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup (150 g) sushi rice
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (266 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tsp (8 g) sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Chopped scallions
- Thinly sliced watermelon radish
- Pickled ginger
- Black sesame seeds
1. Cook the sushi rice with the water in a rice cooker. When the rice is nearly finished, stir in the rice vinegar, salt, and sugar. Mix well, fluffing the rice with a fork. When the rice cooker turns off, remove the lid to let the rice cool a bit.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Slice the stems of the king oyster mushrooms into ½”-¾” (1.5 cm) rounds, like scallops. Roughly chop the caps until it resembles crab meat.
4. Add the “scallops” and “crab meat” to the marinade, stir to coat and set aside for 5 minutes. Slice the cucumbers in half, then cut them into ½” (1.25 cm) pieces. Slice the watermelon radish into thin matchsticks.
5. Put a nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Transfer the mushrooms to the pan with a slotted spoon, reserve the marinade. Try to keep the “scallops” on one side of the pan and the “crab meat” on the other.
6. Cook the “scallops” to a deep golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Cook the “crab meat” for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chop the scallions. Mix the vegan mayo with the sriracha and sesame oil in a bowl.
7. Add the chopped “crab meat” from the pan, mix well to make the vegan dynamite.
8. Divide the rice into 2-3 bowls, top each with a generous scoop of the dynamite mixture. Arrange the top with mushroom scallops, avocado, cucumber slices, and watermelon radish. Finish with a drizzle of eel sauce, pickled ginger, and black sesame seeds.
Fresh tip! If you can't find king oyster mushrooms (also called trumpet mushrooms) feel free to swap regular oyster mushrooms, lions mane, or any other very tender mushroom, sliced or chopped.
Some sriracha is not vegan! Check the label to be sure it's not made with fish.
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
Alpha Foods Just Launched a YouTube Series Co-Hosted by Drag Icon Monét X Change
Tune in every week for a new episode of The Plant-Based Way with Monét.
NadaMoo! Scoop Shop in Austin, Texas to Close This Week
The vegan ice cream shop will be indefinitely closing its brick-and-mortar location on February 27.
This Self-Taught Los Angeles Baker Makes Lizzo-Approved Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Baked by Yoga is killing the vegan dessert game!
San Diego’s Kula Ice Cream Expands to Grocery Stores Across California
The San Diego-based vegan ice cream brand is now available in grocery stores in Loma Linda, Chino, and Rancho Mirage, with more expansion plans in the future.
22 Black-Owned Vegan Food Brands to Support Right Now
From pancakes and granola to chips and cheese sauce, there are so many great products to try from these businesses.
IHOP Adds Vegan Breakfast Sandwich to Menu in NYC
The new fast-casual branch of IHOP has added a fully vegan breakfast sandwich to the menu at its New York location.
New Women-Owned Allergy-Friendly Online Grocer Basquet to Launch This Spring
Basquet specializes in offering a selection of sustainable products to those avoiding the top allergens, including a variety of products suitable for vegans.
10 Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in Atlanta
Come along as we explore all of the tasty Black-owned vegan and vegan-friendly spots Atlanta has to offer!
Michigan’s First Vegan Wine Club Launches in Metro Detroit
Vegan deli and catering company Chive Kitchen adds wine club to its list of offerings.
Chef Tomi Makanjuola Releases New Cookbook Vegan Nigerian Kitchen
The cookbook features 100 vegan recipes from various Nigerian tribes and regions.
5:55 Burgers & Fries Is Serving up Affordable Vegan Food in Los Angeles
Everything on the menu at 5:55 is under $11.11!
Meat Alternative Company Meati Launches for Pre-Order, Sells Out in 24 Hours
There’s a new vegan meat in town and customers are stocking up!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!