Vegan Street-Style Barbacoa Burrito Recipe
Smoky, spicy Barbacoa-style portobello mushrooms wrapped in a burrito with cilantro lime rice, pinto beans, and all the fixings!
Servings: 4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 25 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
Cilantro Lime Rice
- ½ cup (100 g) long grain white rice
- 1 cup (235 ml) vegetable broth
- Handful cilantro leaves
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- 10 oz (283 g) sliced mushrooms
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tamari
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 (4 oz, 113 g) can green chiles
- 2 tsp (10 ml) agave
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oil
- 1tsp (2 g) oregano
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 (15 oz, 425 g) can pinto beans
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp (4 g) cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Extra-large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 romaine leaf
- 1 large tomato
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup (122 g) plain unsweetened cashew or almond yogurt (optional)
- Vegan cheddar shreds (optional)
- Side salad (optional)
1. Make the rice in a rice cooker. Finely dice the onion.
2. Heat 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil in a large pan on medium high. Put 3/4 of the diced onions in the pan. (Reserve the rest for the beans.) Mince the garlic.
3. Add the garlic and sliced mushrooms to the pan. Mince the chipotle peppers.
4. Add 2 of the minced chipotles and tamari, stir well. Add the agave, cumin, paprika, oregano, and liquid smoke. Cook until browned and softened, about 10 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Squeeze the lime over the mushrooms before adding to the burritos.
5. Heat another tsp (5 ml) oil in a saucepan. Add the remaining onions, cook for 1-2 minutes until semi-translucent. Drain and rinse the pinto beans.
6. Add the pinto beans, green chiles, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and remaining chipotle pepper. Stir and reduce heat to low.
7. Dice the tomato and chop the lettuce. Slice the avocado. Mince the cilantro. Moisten the tortillas slightly then warm them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds (Or on the stove if you prefer).
8. When the rice is finished, stir in the cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
9. Build the burritos in a warm tortilla with a scoop of rice, pinto beans, portobello barbacoa, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. (And optional vegan cheese and “sour cream”) Wrap it up tight and stuff your face! Keep a side of hot sauce handy if you like it like that.
Fresh tip! If using ground chipotle powder, use 1 tsp per whole chipotle pepper, (2 tsp for the mushrooms, 1 for the pinto beans)
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
Alpha Foods Just Launched a YouTube Series Co-Hosted by Drag Icon Monét X Change
Tune in every week for a new episode of The Plant-Based Way with Monét.
NadaMoo! Scoop Shop in Austin, Texas to Close This Week
The vegan ice cream shop will be indefinitely closing its brick-and-mortar location on February 27.
This Self-Taught Los Angeles Baker Makes Lizzo-Approved Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Baked by Yoga is killing the vegan dessert game!
San Diego’s Kula Ice Cream Expands to Grocery Stores Across California
The San Diego-based vegan ice cream brand is now available in grocery stores in Loma Linda, Chino, and Rancho Mirage, with more expansion plans in the future.
22 Black-Owned Vegan Food Brands to Support Right Now
From pancakes and granola to chips and cheese sauce, there are so many great products to try from these businesses.
IHOP Adds Vegan Breakfast Sandwich to Menu in NYC
The new fast-casual branch of IHOP has added a fully vegan breakfast sandwich to the menu at its New York location.
New Women-Owned Allergy-Friendly Online Grocer Basquet to Launch This Spring
Basquet specializes in offering a selection of sustainable products to those avoiding the top allergens, including a variety of products suitable for vegans.
10 Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in Atlanta
Come along as we explore all of the tasty Black-owned vegan and vegan-friendly spots Atlanta has to offer!
Michigan’s First Vegan Wine Club Launches in Metro Detroit
Vegan deli and catering company Chive Kitchen adds wine club to its list of offerings.
Chef Tomi Makanjuola Releases New Cookbook Vegan Nigerian Kitchen
The cookbook features 100 vegan recipes from various Nigerian tribes and regions.
5:55 Burgers & Fries Is Serving up Affordable Vegan Food in Los Angeles
Everything on the menu at 5:55 is under $11.11!
Meat Alternative Company Meati Launches for Pre-Order, Sells Out in 24 Hours
There’s a new vegan meat in town and customers are stocking up!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!