Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Mac N Cheez Recipe
This uber creamy 20-minute vegan mac delivers the tang of sharp cheddar from a surprising source—sun-dried tomatoes! A few basil leaves add complexity to the flavors without making it taste “tomato basil-y.” I like to top it with hemp seeds for a little extra texture and nutrition, but that’s totally optional. Use chickpea or lentil pasta to make this mac ‘n cheez super healthy! Add a side of steamed green beans or broccoli for a complete meal.
Servings: 3-4 Time: Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 15 minutes
Recipe by: Carrots and Flowers
- 2 cups small pasta shells
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, loosely packed
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6-7 small basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- â…› tsp red pepper flakes
- â…“ cup shelled hemp seeds (optional for added texture and nutrition)
- Salt and cracked pepper
1. Fill a small saucepan with 3 cups of water and a large saucepan with 8 cups of water. Put them both on high heat. Add the cashews to the small saucepan. (It's ok if it's not boiling yet.) Boil the cashews for 10 minutes until softened.
2. When the large pot of water is boiling, add the pasta shells and a pinch of salt to the pot. Boil according to package instructions but a bit longer than al dente. Drain.
3. When the cashews have two minutes left to boil, add the sun-dried tomatoes to the saucepan. Drain after two minutes. Reserve the water.
4. Add the cashews and sun-dried tomatoes to a high-powered blender, with 2 cups of the reserved water. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and blend on high until smooth, about 2 minutes.
5. Place drained pasta back on medium-high heat. Pour the cheese from the blender to the pan. Stir for 1-2 minutes until sauce begins to thicken into a gooey cheese, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan.
6. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and optional 1 tbsp hemp seeds on each portion.
Fresh tip! If using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, skip the boiling, put them straight into the blender, and use pre-soaked cashews to save even more time.
If you double this recipe, the cheese will need an extra minute or two to thicken while stirring, before adding the pasta.
Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, Page Street Publishing.
Megan is a vegan chef, wellness leader, and the author of 30 Minute Vegan Dinners: 75 Fast Plant-Based Meals You’re Going To Crave. Her website and video channel, Carrots & Flowers, offers droolworthy cooking videos and vegan comfort food that’s secretly healthy.
More from VegOut
Alpha Foods Just Launched a YouTube Series Co-Hosted by Drag Icon Monét X Change
Tune in every week for a new episode of The Plant-Based Way with Monét.
NadaMoo! Scoop Shop in Austin, Texas to Close This Week
The vegan ice cream shop will be indefinitely closing its brick-and-mortar location on February 27.
This Self-Taught Los Angeles Baker Makes Lizzo-Approved Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Baked by Yoga is killing the vegan dessert game!
San Diego’s Kula Ice Cream Expands to Grocery Stores Across California
The San Diego-based vegan ice cream brand is now available in grocery stores in Loma Linda, Chino, and Rancho Mirage, with more expansion plans in the future.
22 Black-Owned Vegan Food Brands to Support Right Now
From pancakes and granola to chips and cheese sauce, there are so many great products to try from these businesses.
IHOP Adds Vegan Breakfast Sandwich to Menu in NYC
The new fast-casual branch of IHOP has added a fully vegan breakfast sandwich to the menu at its New York location.
New Women-Owned Allergy-Friendly Online Grocer Basquet to Launch This Spring
Basquet specializes in offering a selection of sustainable products to those avoiding the top allergens, including a variety of products suitable for vegans.
10 Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in Atlanta
Come along as we explore all of the tasty Black-owned vegan and vegan-friendly spots Atlanta has to offer!
Michigan’s First Vegan Wine Club Launches in Metro Detroit
Vegan deli and catering company Chive Kitchen adds wine club to its list of offerings.
Chef Tomi Makanjuola Releases New Cookbook Vegan Nigerian Kitchen
The cookbook features 100 vegan recipes from various Nigerian tribes and regions.
5:55 Burgers & Fries Is Serving up Affordable Vegan Food in Los Angeles
Everything on the menu at 5:55 is under $11.11!
Meat Alternative Company Meati Launches for Pre-Order, Sells Out in 24 Hours
There’s a new vegan meat in town and customers are stocking up!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!