Vegan Miso-Tahini-Glazed Roasted Eggplant with Farro Recipe
I roast the eggplant, here, with olive oil so that it becomes soft and tender, which makes for a nice contrast to the farro, a grain I love for its nutty taste and chewy texture. What pulls everything together is the miso-tahini glaze, which is punchy, acidic, sweet, and savory in all the right places. Let’s just say that I have a pretty good track record of eggplant converts after they try this one.
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white miso paste
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ cup farro (see note)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice for serving (optional)
- Roast the eggplant: Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Place the cubed eggplant on a rimmed baking sheet and toss it with the olive oil to coat. Spread the eggplant out in a single layer and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing it halfway through, until the cubes are tender and charring.
- While the eggplant is roasting, make the Miso-Tahini Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the miso, tahini, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, coconut sugar, and sesame oil. Then, to prevent the mixture from seizing, gradually whisk in 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water, tablespoon by tablespoon, stirring after each addition, until the glaze thins and becomes nice and smooth.
- Cook the farro according to the instructions on the package. After the farro is cooked, transfer it to a large bowl and season it with salt and pepper, and stir in the parsley.
- Transfer the roasted eggplant to a medium bowl. Reserving 3 tablespoons of the glaze, add the rest to the roasted eggplant, tossing the cubes in the glaze until they are fully coated. Mix the 3 tablespoons of reserved glaze into the farro, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a small, dry skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sesame seeds and toast them, stirring frequently until they are fragrant and browning slightly, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Divide the farro among individual plates and place the eggplant cubes on top. Season with salt and garnish with parsley and the toasted sesame seeds. Finish with a squeeze of lemon, if desired.
A note on farro: The cooking time depends on what type of farro you buy. Typically, the options are whole farro (cooks in 35 to 40 minutes), semi-pearled farro (25 to 30 minutes), or pearled farro (15 to 20 minutes). Pearled farro has no husk and most of the bran is removed, so it cooks the fastest.
Recipe from DADA EATS LOVE TO COOK IT. Copyright © 2021 by Samah Dada. Photography copyright © 2021 by Julia Gartland. Published by Rodale Books, and imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.
Samah is a New York City-based recipe developer, food photographer, and blogger behind Dada Eats. Drawing from her Indian heritage and inspired by the foodscapes of London, California, and New York, she is the host of Cooking with Samah Dada on the Today show’s digital channel.
More from VegOut
Alpha Foods Just Launched a YouTube Series Co-Hosted by Drag Icon Monét X Change
Tune in every week for a new episode of The Plant-Based Way with Monét.
NadaMoo! Scoop Shop in Austin, Texas to Close This Week
The vegan ice cream shop will be indefinitely closing its brick-and-mortar location on February 27.
This Self-Taught Los Angeles Baker Makes Lizzo-Approved Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Baked by Yoga is killing the vegan dessert game!
San Diego’s Kula Ice Cream Expands to Grocery Stores Across California
The San Diego-based vegan ice cream brand is now available in grocery stores in Loma Linda, Chino, and Rancho Mirage, with more expansion plans in the future.
22 Black-Owned Vegan Food Brands to Support Right Now
From pancakes and granola to chips and cheese sauce, there are so many great products to try from these businesses.
IHOP Adds Vegan Breakfast Sandwich to Menu in NYC
The new fast-casual branch of IHOP has added a fully vegan breakfast sandwich to the menu at its New York location.
New Women-Owned Allergy-Friendly Online Grocer Basquet to Launch This Spring
Basquet specializes in offering a selection of sustainable products to those avoiding the top allergens, including a variety of products suitable for vegans.
10 Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in Atlanta
Come along as we explore all of the tasty Black-owned vegan and vegan-friendly spots Atlanta has to offer!
Michigan’s First Vegan Wine Club Launches in Metro Detroit
Vegan deli and catering company Chive Kitchen adds wine club to its list of offerings.
Chef Tomi Makanjuola Releases New Cookbook Vegan Nigerian Kitchen
The cookbook features 100 vegan recipes from various Nigerian tribes and regions.
5:55 Burgers & Fries Is Serving up Affordable Vegan Food in Los Angeles
Everything on the menu at 5:55 is under $11.11!
Meat Alternative Company Meati Launches for Pre-Order, Sells Out in 24 Hours
There’s a new vegan meat in town and customers are stocking up!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!