Mom’s Baked Vegan Mac & Cheese Recipe
My mother used to make a delicious baked macaroni and cheese topped with (accidentally vegan) Ritz cracker crumbs and paprika. The sauce began with a roux to make a rich béchamel and was baked to perfection. Note: The texture of this baked casserole is meant to be firm, not saucy. The optional shredded vegan cheese makes the sauce richer, but it’s delicious without it.
- 16 ounces (454 g) elbow macaroni
- Olive oil or vegan butter, for preparing the baking dish
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) vegan butter
- 1/4 cup (31 g) all-purpose flour
- 5 cups (1.2 L) plain unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (20 g) nutritional yeast, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup (112 g) shredded vegan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup (72 g) finely crushed Ritz crackers
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) melted vegan butter
- To make the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup (240 ml) of pasta cooking water. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a 9 × 13-inch (23 × 33 cm) baking dish with olive oil or vegan butter. Set aside.
- To make the sauce: In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk. Add the salt. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Add the nutritional yeast, mustard, onion powder, and pepper and whisk until smooth. Cook for 5 minutes until thick. Reduce the heat to low. Taste and adjust the seasoning, as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add as much of the 1 cup (240 ml) of reserved cooking water, as desired.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the sauce and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cracker crumbs, paprika, and melted butter to combine.
- To finish: Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish, top with the cracker crumb mixture, and bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and golden on top.
Recipe from Vegan Mac & Cheese: More Than 50 Delicious Plant-Based Recipes for the Ultimate Comfort Food. 2019 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2019 Robin Robertson. Photography: Jack Adams Photography.
Robin Robertson is a veteran restaurant chef, cooking teacher, and acclaimed writer. She pens a regular column for VegNews magazine and has written for Vegetarian Times, Health Naturally, Restaurant Business, National Culinary Review, American Culinary Federation magazine, and Better Nutrition. She has written numerous cookbooks, including the best-selling titles Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker, Vegan Planet, Vegan on the Cheap, and Quick-Fix Vegan. Robertson currently writes, promotes her books, and teaches classes on her innovative vegan cuisine from her home in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Her website is robinrobertson.com.
More from VegOut
Alpha Foods Just Launched a YouTube Series Co-Hosted by Drag Icon Monét X Change
Tune in every week for a new episode of The Plant-Based Way with Monét.
NadaMoo! Scoop Shop in Austin, Texas to Close This Week
The vegan ice cream shop will be indefinitely closing its brick-and-mortar location on February 27.
This Self-Taught Los Angeles Baker Makes Lizzo-Approved Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Baked by Yoga is killing the vegan dessert game!
San Diego’s Kula Ice Cream Expands to Grocery Stores Across California
The San Diego-based vegan ice cream brand is now available in grocery stores in Loma Linda, Chino, and Rancho Mirage, with more expansion plans in the future.
22 Black-Owned Vegan Food Brands to Support Right Now
From pancakes and granola to chips and cheese sauce, there are so many great products to try from these businesses.
IHOP Adds Vegan Breakfast Sandwich to Menu in NYC
The new fast-casual branch of IHOP has added a fully vegan breakfast sandwich to the menu at its New York location.
New Women-Owned Allergy-Friendly Online Grocer Basquet to Launch This Spring
Basquet specializes in offering a selection of sustainable products to those avoiding the top allergens, including a variety of products suitable for vegans.
10 Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants to Support in Atlanta
Come along as we explore all of the tasty Black-owned vegan and vegan-friendly spots Atlanta has to offer!
Michigan’s First Vegan Wine Club Launches in Metro Detroit
Vegan deli and catering company Chive Kitchen adds wine club to its list of offerings.
Chef Tomi Makanjuola Releases New Cookbook Vegan Nigerian Kitchen
The cookbook features 100 vegan recipes from various Nigerian tribes and regions.
5:55 Burgers & Fries Is Serving up Affordable Vegan Food in Los Angeles
Everything on the menu at 5:55 is under $11.11!
Meat Alternative Company Meati Launches for Pre-Order, Sells Out in 24 Hours
There’s a new vegan meat in town and customers are stocking up!
Subscribe NowOrder the magazine!